Sunday, October 30, 2011

Don't Hate, Congratulate!







I've been thinking lately that there's too much hate between rivals. I mean really... Two schools from the same state (Michigan and Michigan State) despise each other and for what? Now, I'll be honest. I have picked my allegiance and it's to the Maize and Blue. I've loved U of M football and basketball since I was a kid (1st grade). Even then, I knew it was important to pick a side and cheer like crazy. However, as I've grown, I couldn't help but realize the blind hatred that exists between teams.

My best friend likes sports. She is able to tolerate them enough to actually deal with my intense passion, but she doesn't have loyalty to either team. However, she does know that since her sister and brother-in-law both bleed green and white, that she should never speak ill of the Spartans. I think there's a fair amount of people who don't closely follow sports but know they should either be a Michigan Wolverines fan or a Michigan State Spartans fan. So, what is it? Why do we HAVE to pick a side and hate the other? Why can't we all just cheer for our team and respect the opponent?

I blame the media. They hype up these games so that anticipation will rise and people will make a point of it to watch (thus boosting their ratings). The media knows there is something Americans love about "belonging to a team", "having a sports identity" and "having a rival". So, they play their cards accordingly. They get rich and richer, while we act dumb and dumber...

I blame the 2 schools. Michigan fans seem to think only dummies go to MSU, or that's where you go if you get rejected from Michigan. MSU fans seem to think Michigan fans look down upon them and their school (and in turn MSU must prove that they are in fact the more elite school academically and in the world of sports). There's even been some teasing going on about which team is the "big brother" and which team is "little brother" (due to a quote by Michael Hart of a former Michigan football team). Granted, both sides are off target and feeding into stereotypes and smack talk, but really is all the negativity necessary?

I blame the alumni. Kids will be kids right? They love to compete, have fun and win. Adults like the same things, but adults should know when and where to draw the line. Why is it that adults will argue like children over which team is better? Why is it that alumni from both schools can barely stand to sit in the same room together to watch the game without name calling or taking a cheap shot at the other team? Why is it that fans from both teams will cheer for whoever their rival team is playing that week, hoping that MSU or U of M will be beaten?

Really, what is it that U of M and MSU fans get as a result of hating the other team? Respect?...no. More wins?...no. Fame?...not. Money?...no way. It's psychological. I think we all want our teams to win because innately we want to be the best. We apply ethnocentrism to our sports teams. We have to be better than you because...well, I don't know why but we just have to! No one wants to be a loser. When our teams win, we feel good inside. When they lose, we feel as if we have failed in some way. Now it's to the point where we must brag on Facebook, at work, in public, etc. and make it known that we roll with MSU or U of M. It's not enough to make it known though because you're not a true fan unless you hate the other team and all their fans too. It's silly. It's ludicrous. It's contradictory to the essence of the game and why it was created in the first place (to bring people together). We should know better.

Don't think it's just a Michigan/MSU thing though. I realized I've been a part of this crazy sports scene when my own mother cheered against my beloved NBA team (the Boston Celtics) in my presence. It made every inch of my skin crawl as she loudly clapped and cheered as my team was on the verge of being beaten. Some small part of her was either mad at me or just trying to get on my nerves as she continued, but to this day she will deny that was ever her intention. Whether or not it was intentional, she knew that was my team and she did it anyway. The point is, we love our teams but we should love the people in this world more. Respect them, love them and celebrate life with them, whether you're a Wolverine, Spartan or a Celtic...

4 comments:

  1. Amen! My son is a Spartan fan, and my boyfriend is a Wolverine fan. I just love football. Some 19 year old kid makes a great catch, I cheer for him regardless of what color he is wearing. We were at the Lions/Chiefs game, and there was a guy in full Native American attire, painted red from head to toe. It was awesome! He did a fake Indian dance number after a KC score, and I clapped for him and you would've thought I murdered someone the way the other Lions fans reacted. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are above the rivalry thing. Ironically, I also have an issue with the Chiefs mascot though. I teach history and one of the units we cover links the trail of tears to the mascot debate and how Native Americans have been offended by our use of mascots for their teams. This guy covered in red doing a fake dance would fit that bill. I hope over the course of the next couple of decades we are able to pay respect to different cultures and not use them as mascots for our teams, especially if the images are stereotypical...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Vanessa! I completely agree with you. I feel like the whole sports rivalry thing is getting way out of hand. Recently, I started to watch the MSU Games because of my boyfriend and really enjoy cheering them on but this doesn't mean I automatically hate U of M now. In fact, since I have moved to Chicago I feel like I appreciate all Michigan schools more than ever. You would think that everyone from Michigan would feel that same way. We should be proud that our state has both of these amazing schools that are looked so highly upon to everyone around the U.S.

    Of course its always fun getting that big win and rubbing it in your friend's face who is cheering for the other team, but to take it to such a negative and violent place is so unnecessary and extremely irritating!

    Of course I am not a die-heart sports fan so I probably will never understand how someone can be so passionate about a team but I still feel like there are better ways to handle it.

    "Respect them, love them and celebrate life with them..." LOVE this. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete